Backpacks are one of the most popular types of bags because of the convenience and comfort they provide to users. These carriers are valuable when you’re planning to go on a wet travel adventure because you can bring several changes of clothes while being assured of their protection from moisture.
You can find a great selection of backpack designs and materials in the market today. However, the extensive assortment to choose from can be a double-edged sword and can overwhelm you.
Here are some tips for choosing the best backpack to use for your adventures:
1. Check Important Features
The first thing you have to do is to consider the features that you want for your carrier. For a wet travel adventure, you must look for a backpack made up of water-resistant materials. If theft is a significant issue for you, you can also opt for a bag with lockable zippers.
These are a few essential features that your wet travel adventure backpack should have:
- Water Resistance – When going on a water excursion, you should aim to bring several shirts and pants to change into. Protect your stuff from moisture by selecting a bag with a water-resistant outer layer. It doesn’t need to be 100 percent waterproof, but make sure that it provides enough protection for drizzles.
- Multiple Compartments – If you want your things to be organized inside your backpack, you might want to choose one that has several dedicated compartments. These sections come in a variety of sizes, which you can use to segregate your clothes and other essentials.
- Lockable Zippers – As mentioned above, lockable zippers can give you peace of mind when you have to leave your bag alone for a while. This can prevent other people from taking things out or putting things inside your backpack without your knowledge.
- Padded Sections – For your comfort, you should find a carrier with padded hip belts and shoulder straps. Cushions in the hip area of the bag can make the weight bearable. Meanwhile, whether you opt for a sling travel backpack or dual straps, you must choose those with paddings so that you’ll be comfortable even when you have to carry your bag over a long distance.
2. Consider The Extras
Aside from the must-have features, you should also identify what extra functions would be nice to have for your backpack. Some people prefer carriers with weight compression straps since these make carrying the bag around easier. It’s good to plan out your adventure so that you can anticipate what features can make your excursion more comfortable.
Some bonus features that you might want for your backpack are:
- Weight Compression Straps – These add-ons are characterized by gartered wires that criss-cross on the sides of the bag. Their primary purpose is to squeeze your stuff closer to the frame to bring the bulk closer to your back. This leads to more manageable weight transfer and balance; thus, making it easier to lug around a heavy load.
- Attachment Points – Attachment points are also known as tool loops, which you can use to fasten your ice ax or trekking poles on your backpack. Helmets and other accessories can also be attached to your bag through daisy chains.
- Warranty – A manufacturer’s or seller’s warranty is a sign of confidence in a backpack’s quality. This is a valuable bonus to look for when shopping for bags because you can get free replacements or repairs when the carrier didn’t live up to its claims.
3. Feel The Fit
After selecting the backpack that checks your must-have and nice-to-have list of features, you must also make sure that the bag has the right fit for your body. A carrier that’s too large or too small may lead to problems on your back, shoulder, and neck, which is why you must check the fit in-person as much as possible.
The right backpack fit should have the appropriate size for your torso length, not your overall height. Another factor to check is the snugness on your hips because this part helps carry the load of the bag.
4. Think About Your Budget
Lastly, consider your budget. While you shouldn’t automatically reach for the most expensive backpack, you shouldn’t also discount the more affordable options completely. Research on a bag’s features and cross-check them to your list. Read up on customer reviews as well to get a holistic idea of how it would feel like to use that carrier.
Choosing the best backpack for your next adventure entails determining the must-have features for your bag, which include water resistance and lockable zippers. Next, extras, like warranty and weight compression straps, would also be nice to have. Moreover, consider the fit and your budget to help you find the right carrier for your excursion.
Make sure you have everything you need
What to pack for your next trip?
Make your next trip as simple and as enjoyable as possible by packing smart. It’s amazing how much stress top travel items can save you, so choose carefully.
Things like lightweight travel backpacks, for example, are ideal for short trips and allow you to move around with ease, and a passport holder will make sure you keep your documents safe at all times.
Check our travel checklist guide for 2021 to make sure you haven’t missed anything, and travel to your next destination in style and with maximum comfort.
Anca is a travel writer and the founder of One Day Itinerary - the biggest collection of travel itineraries for those who are time-limited or just want to maximize their time while traveling. Although she easily becomes homesick for Croatia, she thinks travel is essential to her happiness. She has traveled to more countries than she is years old and doesn’t plan on changing that fact. In her travel guides she aims to inspire people to travel whenever they have a spare day (or two).